Re: old never used memorex cd media

Brian composed on 2019-04-02 20:55 (UTC+0100):

> On Tue 02 Apr 2019 at 14:08:15 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> I have a spindle of memorex  cd-r's, and I've now downloaded and burnt 4
>> copy's of the buster netinstall image to a series of them.

My open spool of Office Depot CD-R probably still has 30 or more, and I think I
have an unopened one squirreled away. My spool of Memorex CD-RW likely more than
30, which will probably cover whatever life I have remaining when the Office Depot
supplies are exhausted.

> 99% of users write netinstall images to a a USB stick.

Cite please? If there are 100 users on this list, Gene plus Greg plus me would
make 3%. :-D

> They know
> the technology is reliable

Depends how reliable is defined:

USB media reliably has insufficient space to write with pen/chalk/crayon/marker on
the media container what the media contains.

USB media commonly differs in size or shape from other USB media.

USB media has *no* convenient library system, unlike DVDs & CDs, for which uniform
size and shape plastic containers with convenient additional labeling facility are
available, for which drawers and boxes and the like are available to library.

USB media fairly often usurps the normal boot device's device name(s).

In the instant case, USB substantially over-supplies space for the half-CD or less
required to fit the iso, keeping unit cost high for single or limited use media.

Anyone tried to buy 2GB or smaller USB devices lately? I haven't seen any in
stores in years.

> and provides a bootable image. The other
> 1% takes a different path which, very often, involves other people
> in some work - like posting to -user.

USB sticks don't cause the same?

>> But I can't get any of them to boot.

CDs, DVDs & USB sticks are containers that provide an installation kernel and
initrd that firmware can load. So are HDDs and SSDs. If you're upgrading or adding
another installation via network, the bootloader on the HDD or SSD can load an
installation kernel and initrd, arguably with less fuss than creating installation
media. It's what I do for by far the most installations.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/