Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 05:33:05AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

> I was wondering about that. I've never had a clear understanding of
> when to use 1 slash and when to use 3. I assumed that in this case 1
> was acceptable because how Synaptic's error message was phrased when
> attempting Edit --> Reload Package Information.

Wikipedia [1] is your friend. The short version: in the three-slashes
variant, there's a little space between the two last, where you could
put a hostname (you see it now, when you squint?). If that host name
is empty, 'localhost' is assumed.

But in the case of localhost, you can leave out the two leading slashes
altogether. So file:///foo/bar and file:/foo/bar are equivalent and
both mean file://localhost/foo/bar.

Whether your strange desktop software (sorry, I couldn't resist)
implements that correctly or not is quite another story, though.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#How_many_slashes?
-- t