Re: Advantages of downloading Debian packages over tor

On 3/28/19, André Rodier <andre@rodier.me> wrote:
> On 2019-03-28 16:12, John Hasler wrote:
>> tomas writes:
>>> No. Because the least Google track is your IP address. It is true that
>>> Tor is meant to obscure your IP address, but "trackers", in your use
>>> of the word, are mostly Javascript code snippets (sometimes invisible
>>> images and things like that) made to convince your browser to betray
>>> you. And it'll betray you even through Tor.
>>
>> But JS trackers are easily blocked by simply disallowing JS.
>
> I have not seen any valid reason to download packages over tor, neither
> to use the apt-transport-tor package.

If you get your packages from an .onion site you get end-to-end
encryption as well as hiding which packages you've downloaded from
whoever is watching your network traffic.

ref
https://bits.debian.org/2016/08/debian-and-tor-services-available-as-onion-services.html

Regards
Lee