Re: keyboard macros

On 3/28/19, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
> rhkramer writes:
>> Not responding specifically to the following, but keyboard / keystroke
>> macros are not a strictly EMACS function, and I don't think EMACS was
>> first.
>
> TEMACS had them, of course.  In fact, that's pretty much what TEMACS
> *was*.  Emacs was initially built on TEMACS.
>
> No, you don't need Emacs to get the benefit of keyboard macros.  You
> also don't need to learn how to create keyboard macros to get some of
> the benefits of Emacs.

Emacs has received a regular mention in a few places around the Web.
Based on this today, I tried a quick "apt-cache search" which
responded back with a very short list (that included JavaScript,
Python, and "BeanShell" package references for Libreoffice).

So I checked out Emacs' description in hopes of hints toward a
possibly better keyword search. Its description is rather "brief". It
could maybe use some fan love, e.g. an unordered list of fans'
favorite features, such that it bubbles up when users go searching
their package repositories for its particular talents:

+++ BEGIN EMACS PACKAGE DESCRIPTION +++

Description-en: GNU Emacs editor (with GTK+ GUI support)
 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.  This
 package contains a version of Emacs with a graphical user interface
 based on GTK+ (instead of the Lucid toolkit provided by the
 emacs-lucid package).

+++ END EMACS PACKAGE DESCRIPTION +++

It's been on my to-do (eventually) list for a while. Its download size
(indicating some potential feature heft) plus today's exchange about
it has shifted it to a must-do. :)

Those same very short search query results also suggested something
called "onboard":

+++ BEGIN ONBOARD PACKAGE DESCRIPTION +++

Description-en: Simple On-screen Keyboard
 On-screen Keyboard with macros, easy layout creation and word suggestion.
 .
 This on-screen keyboard can be useful for tablet PC users, as well as
 for mobility impaired users.

+++ END ONBOARD PACKAGE DESCRIPTION +++

Very cool about the mobility related disabilities consideration there.
That's a personal fave to remind people about related to computer
usage, including web design layout, e.g. don't force users to have to
reach and continuously scroll any more than absolutely necessary per
webpage.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey