Emacs and hunspell

I, so far, did not manage to use hunspell with emacs.  After reading a lot on the internet, inter alia emacs-wiki and stackexchange and trying out different recipes, still no success.

My latest effort in .emacs:

(with-eval-after-load "ispell"
  (setq ispell-program-name "hunspell")
  (setq ispell-dictionary "af_ZA")
  ;; ispell-set-spellchecker-params has to be called
  ;; before ispell-hunspell-add-multi-dic will work
  (ispell-set-spellchecker-params)
  (ispell-hunspell-add-multi-dic "af_ZA,en_ZA"))

(setq ispell-program-name (executable-find "hunspell")
      ispell-dictionary "af_ZA")
produces the following error message when trying to use the spell process:

ispell-get-decoded-string: No data for dictionary "af_ZA" in ‘ispell-local-dictionary-alist’ or ‘ispell-dictionary-alist’

From what I have read emacs (1:26.1+1-3.2) should just work with hunspell even if you just set the last two lines of the above configuration.  However, it does not seem to pick up the dictionaries.

How do I get it to work?

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)