Re: need sources.list example for lan with approx-server

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 14:33, <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

> Would someone kindly point me to (or email me) an example sources.list
> for machines running Debian-9 (Stretch) in a LAN with an approx server?
>
> Following the installation of Stretch on a machine in the LAN, I used
> Synaptic to add packages, but pressing the RELOAD button of Synaptic
> produces the following error message:
>
> http://192.168.1.40:9999/debian/dists/stretch-updates/InRelease: The
> key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file is
> not readable by user '_apt' executing
> apt-key.http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/dists/stretch/updates/InRelease:
> The key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file
> is not readable by user '_apt' executing
> apt-key.http://192.168.1.40:9999/debian/dists/stretch/Release.gpg: The
> key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file is
> not readable by user '_apt' executing apt-key.Failed to fetch
> http://192.168.1.40:9999/debian/dists/stretch-updates/main/source/Sources.xz
> Hash Sum mismatch
> <snip>
>
> The approx server is running a recent installation of Stretch, and was
> used as a mirror for installation of the machine which now is generating
> the error message.  I then attempted to edit the sources.list created by
> the installer on the complaining machine, and in the process I overwrote
> the version left by the installer.

Based on the info you provided, I would expect a *minimal*
/etc/apt/sources.list file to contain something like:

deb http://192.168.1.40:9999/debian/ stretch main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

if you want to use approx, assuming 192.168.1.40 is the IP address
of your approx server. The actual file contents depends on choices
made during installation.

I have used approx for many releases. But I've never used Synaptic.
I suggest to avoid using Synaptic until you have fixed command-line
apt. Synaptic might be what caused the problem. So while troubleshooting
this problem, I suggest running 'apt-get update' as root, and defer running
Synaptic until that command completes without error.

I don't think 'approx' is responsible for the error message you provided.
It appears to be a permissions problem of apt-get failing to read a local
file /etc/apt/trusted.gpg

On stretch, I don't have that file. I had to go back two releases to wheezy
to find an example. It is readable only by root.

$ ls -l /mnt/p/B/etc/apt/trusted.gpg
-rw------- 1 root root 1252 2013-07-03 21:49 /etc/apt/trusted.gpg

So, I wonder what is going on? I'm not familiar with the contents
of that file. That's why I suggest to remove Synaptic
from the troubleshooting process, until apt-get is working.

As a first step, I would create a /etc/apt/sources.list that does
not use approx, and test it with 'apt-get update'. It would
contain this:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main