Re: text editors

On 25.03.19 07:53, mick crane wrote:
> not heard about folding.

It can be very handy. I have around 420 pages of notes in one file. They
present as a one-page contents table with section page counts. While
cursoring down and then across opens a chosen fold, there are several
folding levels to the bottom. Hierarchical groping and digging is an
inefficient constraint suffered by GUIs; it is much quicker to just use
vim's '/' to search for a keyword. Given capitalised headings and
keywords, suffixed with a ':' for the major section on that topic, the
right line in 28532 lines is quickly found, and the required folds
opened automatically.

> I'm not very good at this.

Give it 30 years. Experience creeps up on you.

> kind of related I'm having difficulty copy and pasting.
> If on windows [sorry] and in putty session for Debian no gui vi, if

Commiserations. I'd be sorry too if I had to use windows. (Avoided it
entirely during 30 years in IT - took a fat redundancy package when
windows finally caught up, and retired.

> highlight text with mouse then it is automatically saved to windows
> clipboard for pasting but then in putty cannot scroll past bottom of screen.

Sounds like a putty limitation? I'll admit to only ever having copied to
an X11 clipboard, so can't offer relevant experience. I've never used
gvim - plain vim in an xterm works fine with the X11 clipboard, so long
as I remember to turn off autoindent before pasting, to avoid a
stairstep paste. (I have the F12 key mapped to toggle vim's "paste"
attribute, so a single key handles both on and off.)

> If set marks and then yank to other mark text is yanked but is not in
> windows clipboard buffer for pasting.

Have you checked whether the yank goes into the "* (clipboard) register?
Check also the "+ register, in case the windows clipboard is looking
there instead. A post on the vim-use ML might elicit more info related
to your environment. Back in 2011, Gary Johnson had a "Copy and paste
problem" which was fixed for windows with "set clipboard^=unnamed".)

    :help 'clipboard'
    :help :set^=

I tend to just use a mouse drag to grab text to the X11 clipboard for
pasting into something GUI.

> In visual mode I can highlight all text with go to mark but that is not in
> windows buffer either.
> I tried all different commands to try to get text into windows buffer but
> nothing seems to work.

Check   " :set clipboard ? "

IIUC, it should include unnamed and unnamedplus for problem-free
communication with the windows clipboard - inferring from a couple of
archive posts from 2011,12. Including unnamedplus isn't good for the
linux clipboard, though.

If all else fails, the vim-use mailing list is a darned sight more
knowledgeable on vim/windows stuff.

Erik