Re: Acess Devian 9 laptop by another devica via wifi

Tom Browder wrote:
> I travel often with a hefty laptop running Debian 9 and like to do casual
> programming on it remotely via a terminal app (Termius) on an iPad. In many
> situations I am able to access the laptop when on a wireless LAN by getting
> its IP address with "sudo ifconfig" and simply using that address in
> Termius to ssh in to the laptop.
>
> However, someteimes that does not work until I edit the wireless connection
> and declare it public. And in still other cases I cannot access the laptop
> at all.
>
> Is there any reliable way to either (1) always connect via the LAN or (2)
> make the laptop broadcast its own LAN so I can login to it wirelessly from
> the iPad?

The times that you can't connect are probably due to the
configuration of the network you are connecting to, not anything
under your control.

One easy and cheap workaround would be to add a second wifi interface to
the laptop via a USB interface -- find one that's compatible
with hostapd, and run that. You'll get a private wifi network
for your laptop and your iPad.

-dsr-