Re: Ways to verify tools/applications? Fire support for new users

On 3/22/19 3:14 PM, bw wrote:
in-reply-to=<[🔎] ce9727aa-339f-6ec3-bd81-3b4949ffc0d1@rangingthoughts.org>

Are there list-suggested ways to help verify non-free /
out-of-stable-distro or even seldomly updated in-distro tools,
PRE-INSTALL?
Well... that's a deep subject.  You mention three different categories of
pkgs, but I think many people would say there are only two main
categories:

"in-repo" and "out-of-repo"

Everything in the repo has a bug page at bugs.debian.org/<pkgname> and
also a page at packages.debian.org/<pkgname>

"out-of-repo" stuff, well... again that's a deep subject.  Not enough
time.  If you want to pull win users into linux, start them off right.
They don't need to all be administrators, do they?  If you just want to
let them trash the system and play around that's cool.  Make an hourly
backup.

They won't all be admins, but the top tech folks will be.

(But, those are likely the ones who will cause the most trouble).

One thing they do do is backup.

Lots and lots of backups.

I will add the bug list check to my list (good idea).

Some suggested reading here to get started.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

I think this forum is a good place to read first, post later.  The
archives have a ton of info. Many issues have already been done to death.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Thank you bw!