Re: Disable left-ctrl?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 4:42 PM Selim T. Erdoğan
<selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Boyan Penkov wrote:
> > I am now writing my thesis, and have the genesis of some pretty
> > significant EMACs pinky.  (I use my left pinky for the left ctrl most
> > of the time, which is setting me up for failure.).
> >
> > To this end, I’d like to disable the left ctrl key only, and force
> > my brain to use the right one.  Better yet, I’d like the screen to
> > flash or something then I inadvertently hit left-ctrl.
>
> Have you tried making the Caps Lock key function as a Ctrl key?
> It makes things much easier on pinkies.

This is the only valid answer and is often easy to do in Linux (Gnome
Tweaks has a simple checkbox for this). I have to do it on every
computer I use with a PC keyboard. On a *real* computer, the control
key is placed in a sensible location, see for example
http://xahlee.info/kbd/i/kb/sun_keyboard_left.jpg or
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Amiga_1200_Nahaufnahme.jpg

I would like to have a long talk in a locked room with the person who
thought that HEY IM AN IMPORTANT MANAGER AND I ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS SO
LETS PUT CAPS LOCK IN THE MOST PROMINENT POSITION.