Joe - Re: WRITING to NTFS drives

On 3/11/19 2:47 PM, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 14:13:38 -0400
deb <deb@rangingthoughts.org> wrote:

I saw this question come up

and it set off bells.

Someone asked what the status of WRITING to NTFS drives was.

That it was not yet supported (?) .

I don't think that has been true for several years, though it certainly
was at one time.

*MY* Assumptions:

   * MIXED NETWORK, with Win, Mac, Linux (EXT4 formatted).

   * many portable 1-5TB drives making the rounds, formatted with NTFS.

   * data loss is unacceptable [to the highest degree that is
possible].

I know that I can read (and verify) files just fine from NTFS on
Debian 9.8

but [if you have direct experience with this]

is writing to these drives from debian actually safe?

[if you have direct experience with this]

what process/tool(s) do you use to validate the writes?

Yes, that is my current belief. If I need media that supports larger
files than FAT provides for, between OSes, I have no hesitation in using
NTFS.

BUT... if I have the means easily available, and I usually do, I would
initially format the media in Windows. I don't suppose its actually
necessary, but in the past I've seen Windows complain about the
formatting of media carried out under Linux, though never to the point
of losing data. I have a couple of USB sticks in current use that
Windows always complains about and offers to fix (though it never
does). It costs me nothing to be sure.

Similarly, there are programs running on Windows that can deal with
various extN filesystems, but I would never use such a program for an
initial formatting if I also had a Linux machine available. Why take a
chance?

Joe:

a. Whew!

b. Understood on NTFS drives should be formatted on Windows machines.

The very last thing that I want to do is to have systematic data corruption on Windowsy drives traced back to Linux-anything.

Thank you!