Re: Group thoughts on: Anti-virus tools

On Sunday 10 March 2019 10:58:12 deb wrote:

> Starting assumption: I do want to run A/V.
>
>   * I get that it may actually INCREASE attack surface.
>
>   * But I have Windows & Mac stuff going back and forth to Debian 9.8
> and just want to check.
>
>   * (Clamscan already caught 4 things)
>

> a. What does the group suggest running on debian beyond
>
>      - chkrootkit
>
>      - rkhunter
>
>      - ClamAV
>
> b. Does the list keep a ~ "pinned" answer for these kinds of
> questions?

The trouble with a pinned list is that it can't keep up with the latest
attack methods. Clamav has silently stripped about half a megabyte of
stuff since about the first of October last, last hit Feb 12 here.
However while I'm checking, I note that a pastebin installation
(pnopaste) has generated about 20 megabytes of squawks, so its gone now.
I installed it so's I'd have a local pastebin. We get too soon auld, and
too late schmardt. Has pnopaste acted up for others?

> Thank you!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)