Re: sucessor for denyhosts?

Am Samstag, 9. März 2019, 11:22:45 CET schrieb mj:
Hi MJ,

that is a good point, that only services are blocked, which are using
hosts.deny. For the other ports I am using tools like porstentry and
hostentry, which are running well and do a good job.

My personal style is strange: I am looking, on which kind or way an attacker
could intrude my system and then defend with the rquired tool. I am never
relying on one tool, it is always a combination of several tools - like I say,
a "concept".

Of course I pay attention, that my tools do not interfere each other. And you
may wonder - it happens, that there is a new attacking threat, then I defend
against it and after one or two years I forgot about it. "Fire and forget".

But from time to time I recheck my strategies (like this time) and look, what
can be improved/exchanged/whatever, like today.

I will give fail2ban a try, as it looks like the most suggested tool at the
moment. But as I said before - let's see of more suggestions.

Best

Hans