Re: Keyboard and touchpad not working after waking up from a suspension

On 3/3/19, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/19 9:27 AM, ksqsf wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> I have found the screen won't wake after sleeping, which makes it
>>> appear the keyboard and mouse are not working. Switching to a virtual
>>> console and back makes it all work again. I simply hit Ctl+Alt+F4,
>> wait
>>> a second, and hit Alt+F7.
>> Thanks. I've never thought of switching to another tty. Unfortunately,
>> this workaround doesn't work for me.
>>
>> 1. nothing happens when press Ctrl+Alt+F4
>> 2. use a USB keyboard to switch to tty4
>> 3. surprisingly, the laptop keyboard works well, and I can login
>> normally
>> 4. switch back to the graphical login, the laptop keyboard stops
>> working again
>>
>> Now I strongly suspect it's a GNOME problem...
>>
> I have also had the "keyboard and mouse ignored when returning from monitor
> sleep" issue, fixed by ctrl-alt-F1 and then ctrl-alt-F7. Oddly, when I hit
> c-a-f7, I get a screen telling me that the screen is locked and I'll be
> taken
> to the login screen in a few seconds. Why? Why not just take me to the
> login
> screen? What's the value of that message?

* I think* I've experienced the same thing. If it *is* the same thing,
there would be the value that what I've seen *felt like* programs
conflicting with each other over who's the boss at that second....

And maybe that's yet another part of this type of issue that's been
reported quite a few times at this point......

OR NOT. :)

My experience is that it will "snap" from one GUI interface to a
different one in such a way that you'd miss it if you blinked at that
second. That makes it feel like two different packages are trying to
vie for our attention at that second.

And, nope, no screensaver in my case. Decided I was so over having to
hard reboot, seems like most often with the power button, that I
stopped playing with screensavers.

It's not the screensaver... because I've experienced this multiple
login screen part of it in the last couple weeks again..

Ok, well, in that case, it's not for me right now. It's possible it
*is* screensavers' lock screen feature ALSO mucking things up when
they're installed, TOO. :D

A couple times recently, there have been conversations about initial
installation of a login package. During those threads, I've wondered
if that doesn't somehow play into it, although no 4-watt light bulbs
have flashed overhead as to specifically how and why that might be...

Well, nothing comes to mind beyond possibly having two fairly similar,
potentially conflicting programs installed without that being a known,
documented issue to date.

> Also, just now I had the "ignore keyboard, won't return from monitor sleep"
> issue. I was in the middle of something, so when pressing a key did
> nothing I
> walked away and came back a few minutes later ... and NOW the keyboard
> did unsleep the monitor. What the?

I don't know, now it sounds like you're just gettin'.... nitpicky.
*IT'S A JOKE!*

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey