Bluetooth audio problem

Hello

Since upgrading to Stretch shortly after it became stable, I have had to
execute the following after a reboot before being able to connect to
bluetooth devices using the Gnome bluetooth applet:

$ sudo pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover

Without that command, needed once only after each reboot, the Gnome
applet is unable to connect to any bluetooth audio devices, eg my
headphones to be used as an audio sink, or my iPhone to be used as an
audio source. Once that command has been issued once, everything works
as it should, and continues to do so until the next reboot.

I've been away for a couple of weeks and so hadn't installed updates to
my stretch installation for something like 3 weeks, until Saturday this
week when I installed updates. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough
attention to exactly what was upgraded but I _believe_ I saw udev in the
list of things getting upgraded.

Now, when I run the above command it is erroring out with:

xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

Googling for this has only turned up old information which does not seem
to relate to the problem I am facing. In most cases the context is audio
not working; in my case audio output through speakers plugged into the
sound card is working fine, USB mic connected by a wire is working
fine, the only problem is anything bluetooth.

Bluetooth on this machine is provided by a USB bluetooth dongle which I
have been using for ages.

Can anyone suggest steps to diagnose?

TIA

Mark