Re: Debian specific tools/apps

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 09:18 Peter Ehlert <peter@sdi-baja.com> wrote:
https://wiki.debian.org/

On 3/1/19 10:40 PM, Josef Bailey wrote:
> Hello I’m new to Debian and wanted to know what are some good Debian specific tools/apps I should know so I don’t write emails like this.
>
> I know of
> 1. Dpkg
> 2. Apt-file
> 3. Apt
> 4. Aptitude
> 5. I know how to use backports for stable
>
> Is there anything else I should know that can help me find answers quick and help me maintain my system
>
> Thanks

Hi, Josef.

1) The "man pages" hold a wealth of information. Get used to them. Use them.

Start here: at a command prompt, type:
          man man

2) Suggestion: don't try to learn everything at once. Learn what YOU need to know, as you need it.

3) Practice.

4) You did back up any data that you can't afford to lose, didn't you? Good! Now do it again.

Hope this helps.