roundcube installer web helper problem

Hello,
I'm having a bit of bother configuring roundcube on buster
I've installed roundcube before from sources and has been ok for a few years but now is something a bit wrong so I install with apt.

on the installer web page step 2 there is the message
"Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/share/roundcube/installer/config.php on line 205
Log errors
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/share/roundcube/installer/config.php on line 208
Print errors (to the browser)"

I guess that is a real error message.

205 echo $check_debug->show(($value & 1) ? 1 : 0 , array('value' => 1, 'id' => 'cfgdebug1'));
207
208 echo $check_debug->show(($value & 4) ? 4 : 0, array('value' => 4, 'id' => 'cfgdebug4'));

when click create config button there is no text in the code box and says cannot write config file which is writable by the www-data and the temp and log directories are OK to write to according to installer web page.

I guess there should be a number there instead of the ? but I don't know what it should be.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31