Re: font size printing from terminal

On Fri 01 Mar 2019 at 09:58:08 +0000, mick crane wrote:

> On 2019-02-28 18:59, mick crane wrote:
> > hello
> > is buster
> > I can print from command line with
> > "lp filename"
> > but not with "lpr filename"
> > when printing from terminal the font is a bit big and uses too much
> > paper.
> > apparently "enscript -FCourier10 filename" for example is supposed to
> > work but that sends it to lpr which doesn't.
> > Can try to get lpr to work as I have in the past or try to get
> > enscript to use lp
> > Or maybe there is another way to change printed font size from terminal
> > ?
>
> I'm not really understanding.
> Is "lp" to do with CUPS and "lpr" to do with lpd daemon ?

lp originated via the System V printing system; lpr came from the
Berkeley printing system. Both commands do essentially the same things
and both should work in an identical way. Both are not needed and, if
you wish, lpr can be removed with 'apt purge cups-bsd'.

I doubt very much that you need to have anything to do with cups-lpd.

> I have CUPS server on other PC.

Ok.

> on client PC
> $ lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: HP_LaserJet_4000_Series
> device for HP_LaserJet_4000_Series: socket://10.0.0.108

This is not a connection to the server. socket://... indicates a direct
connection to the printer.

> "lp filename" prints OK

That's what should happen.

> "systemctl start lpd.service"

Eh? You would have to explain. For a start, the service file does not
seem to exist in Debian.

> "lpr filename" (nothing happens)

Thinking in progress. (But Curt's thought processes are speedier than
mine).

> "enscript filename"
> [ 1 page * 1 copy ] sent to printer
> (but nothing happens)
>
> enscript filename | lp
> [ 1 page * 1 copy ] sent to printer
> lp: No file in print request.
>
> $ enscript -d filename
> lpr: test: unknown printer
>
> $ enscript -P filename
> lpr: test: unknown printer
>
> Do I need to put some sensible values in /etc/printcap to have enscript
> working as at the moment /etc/printcap seems to be defining a local printer
> ?

You don't touch printcap.

> Or is there some way to tell any printer requests should go to CUPS server ?

Indeed there is.

--
Brian.