Re: OT : Windows 10 managed desktop

Celejar quotes:
> Essentially desktop as a service (DaaS,) so MS are going to try and
> grab more control over our desktops  If this is a good reason to
> really push Linux, free software, choice, and user control then it
> seems a good a reason as any.

Unfortunately I don't think that more than a tiny minority of users will
see this as a problem, as long as it cost them no money.  They may
(quite erroneously) see it as relieving them of responsibility.

deloptes writes:
> The want more profit - cause until now you payed 100 or 150 for
> perpetual license - now you will have to pay on monthly bases. I am
> just wondering how they are going to handle the end user licenses -
> are they going to make a contract with each person and get this
> persons bank account.

They are already getting money from the manufacturers for installing
Windows on every machine, and most home desktops are replaced every few
years.  If they do anything it will be charging for upgrades, but I
don't think they will want to deal with the screams of outrage and
threats of legislation.  Instead I think that they will move more and
more functionality to their servers.  The OS will be pre-installed but
useful standalone applications will not.

However, I think that they also see the home desktop market as doomed.
I think that their goal now is to get end users started with Office 365
et alia on line so that when their smartphones gain enough capability
that they decide to dump the desktop Microsoft won't lose them.

Eventually almost all computers (including smartphones) available at
retail will probably be essentially intelligent graphic terminals with
firmware that can be altered only by automatic updates pushed out by the
manufacturers.  Google is more likely to be in charge than Microsoft,
though.

Businesses are already being pushed into the "software as a service"
model.  BTW that isn't new.  In the 60s and 70s one normally leased
mainframe software.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com