Re: Swapping Drives - Sanity Check

Michael Stone composed on 2019-02-23 14:14 (UTC-0500):

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 18:51:12 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

>> Michael Stone composed:

>>>I never use labels because if I want to attach a drive to another
>>>computer for some reason it's extremely common for the labels to
>>>collide.

>>Good point. Labels are not as unique as UUIDs. But you can choose
>>labels which are unique enough to avoid collisions, for instance by
>>including a substring which identifies the host system or the drive.
>>See Felix's example above.

> You can, but it isn't the default. UUIDs tend to just work to a greater
> extend.

Depends on context. In a fully automated context, UUIDs do indeed work great, when humans are
working with them, not so great. Most humans cannot remember 32 character or longer strings of
randomly generated characters for associating with devices or usage. Also they make fstab lines
much longer, tending to wrap when pasting into email or view in an 80 character terminal.

Almost exclusively, I've been using labels in fstabs and bootloader configs for more than 12 years.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/