Re: Can't scan new disk

On 2019-02-20, Mark Allums <mark@allums.email> wrote:

>> Maybe something simple like "lsof" command can shed some light on this
>> problem?
>>      $ sudo lsof /dev/sdb
>>      $ sudo lsof /dev/sdb1
>
> root@martha:~# lsof /dev/sdb
> lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1001/gvfs
>        Output information may be incomplete.
> root@martha:~# lsof /dev/sdb1
> lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1001/gvfs
>        Output information may be incomplete.
> root@martha:~#

>From what I'm reading you'll have to be martha for this and not root
(*une fois n'est pas coutume*), if martha mounted.

>From man mount.fuse:

 SECURITY
   The fusermount program is installed set-user-gid to fuse. This is done to
   allow users from  fuse group to mount their own filesystem implementations.
   There must however be some limitations, in order to prevent Bad User from doing
   nasty things.  Currently those limitations are:

   1.     The user can only mount on a mountpoint, for which it has write permission

   2.     The mountpoint is not a sticky directory which isn't owned by the user (like /tmp usually
              is)

   3.     No other user (including root) can access the contents of the mounted filesystem.