Re: get my ip address

On 19/02/2019 16:10, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:11:29AM +0100, tony wrote:
>> Debian 9. I need to read my IPv6 address into a python script.
>
> Why?
>
> <https://mywiki.wooledge.org/IpAddress> may offer some insight.

Well, I'm sure you don't really want to know, and I don't think your
blog covers my use case. Correct me if I'm wrong on either count.

I have a network of IoTs consisting of 5 (I think) Paspberry Pis,
monitoring various things, and periodically sending the data to my VPS.
I need access to these hosts to manage them.

The network supplier is Orange France (spit!) who supply a dynamic DNS
on both IPv4 and IPv6. I need to access any of them. For some years, I
have been using NAT over IPv4 with some success. I simply collect the
router's address from the server using curl, compare it with the current
DNS setting, and run nsupdate if different.

Now, Orange (spit!) have recently discovered. IPv6, which makes
management much easier, so I'm in the process of changing over to that
protocol. Sadly the prefix is dynamic; ${deity} knows why. Each host
address is set up from router advertisement, so I figure I only need to
catch the host's current address, and set up the DNS accordingly. I'm
successfully doing that manually, but, of course, that's not very
satisfactory.

See - I told you it wasn't worth knowing!

Cheers, Tony