Re: Status of LXC in Stretch?

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 08:50:01AM +0100, Claudio Kuenzler wrote:
It seems that there hasn't been much going on concerning the LXC package(s)
in Debian 9 Stretch. The version is stuck at 2.0.7 without any patches
backported since Jan 2018. Yet there are known (important) bugs which break
LXC on Stretch.

Ultimately, I think the LXC maintainers are under-resourced; there
aren't enough people/hours for it. But Stretch being the current
release, I would not expect to see the package update much, except for
security issues or *major* bugs. #888647 that you cite, for example, is
currently only categorized as "normal" severity.

Meanwhile LXC 2.0.9 is out since October 2017 (yes, 2017). Instead of
keeping a bugged 2.0.7, wouldn't it be better to include the latest
upstream version of the 2.0 LTS branch?

Not post-Stretch release, no; that's not how we do things I'm afraid.
Unfortunately 2.0.9 came out *after* Stretch, by a few months.

What's the current status with LXC and its related packages in Debian
Stretch?

You've pretty much summed it up.

Can we expect a new upstream release, a bugfix or a new version
(3.0 LTS) made available in backports?

I can't speak for the LXC maintainers, but we as a project are about to
enter freeze for the next Debian release. The version of LXC slated for
that is 3.x series. I suspect (but again, can only speculate) that the
maintainers are likely going to prioritize getting the next release
ready over updating the backport for the soon-to-be-obsolete current
stable release. Volunteers are free to work on whatever they want, of
course.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland