Re: File association for all and new users in the KDE?

On 2/16/19, Serkan KURT <ssserkkk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>   How can some application and file types be set to default for all users?
> For Debian 9, "/usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list" was the solution to
> edit the file. The same method in Debian 8 version did not work.

Hi.. I *used* to try to do that when I first started... *breaking*...
my Linux systems. I spent MANY HOURS changing file permissions so that
*I* could access my own things here.

Then I read somewhere that we should NOT do that because those
permissions/ownerships have been set up that way to *protect* us and
our machines. The method that exists today took all these long, hard
years of development to intentionally get to the self-preservation
point we're at right now.

A different work-around: Maybe if you could describe what you're
trying to do with your setup, someone here can help you find a
different way to do the same thing that changing file ownerships
does..

Afterthought: That security warning I read a LONG time ago also
pointed specifically at things like.. do NOT add everyone to ALL
groups to get things done, either. The reason for not doing that
and/or manually changing file permissions is because both would then
throw your computer's front door wide open to any hackers/crackers who
might come a-knockin'. They would fall under that "everyone" category,

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *