Re: get my ip address

On 15/02/2019 16:52, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 15 Feb 2019 at 12:02:20 (+0100), Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> Tony, 15.2.2019, 11:11:29 +0100:
>>
>>> Debian 9. I need to read my IPv6 address into a python script.
>>>
>>> I am aware that I can call ip a and parse the result. The parsing,
>>> whilst quite achievable, is slightly tricky, but I can manage the RE, so
>>>  that's not my question.
>>>
>>> Is there any other way to obtain this data, maybe from /sys?
>>
>> Take a look at this:
>> https://pypi.org/project/netifaces/
>>
>> This is packaged on stretch as python[3]-netifaces
>
> That's probably best if your destination is a Python program.
>
> Otherwise, for scripting, it's easy to overlook   ip -o a
> which makes parsing much easier. But note that you may then
> need to be more specific, eg compare
>
> $ ip a
>
> with
>
> $ ip -o l
> $ ip -o a

Thanks to all who replied, I hadn't expected pointers to the various
python libraries, for which I am very grateful. All I asked for was a
simple way of directly accessing the hardware, but that does not seem to
be available.

Failing that, I had indeed overlooked the -o flag oo ip a, which indeed
makes parsing easier. However, it does appear that netifaces offers  the
most usable solution, so a cigar to David Wright for this suggestion.

Cheers, Tony