Re: Broken Debian's testing migration (grave bug in module-init-tools)

X-Y-GMX-multipart/mixed;
	boundary="Add_By_Label_Mail_Nextpart_001"9999999999996

On 2010-04-12 11:19 +0200, Vincent L

efevre wrote:

> There's something broken in the design of Debian's migration to testing.
>
> A grave bug in the testing version of module-init-tools (3.12~pre2-1)
> was fixed several weeks ago, and the package was uploaded with
> urgency=high:
>
>  module-init-tools  (3.12~pre2-2) unstable; urgency=high
>
>    * Fixed an init scripts dependency loop introduced in -1. (Closes: #574535)
>
>  -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>  Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:21:18 +0100
>
> but it hasn't migrated to testing yet!
>
> The reason is a build failure on HPPA:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=hppa&pkg=module-init-tools&ver=3.12~pre2-2
>
> Isn't it unacceptable that a problem on some platform blocks a fix
> for a grave bug?

This may not be acceptable for testing users, but the rules are pretty
clear: all release architectures must be in sync in testing.  This often
holds up important fixes for months.

The conclusion I had drawn from this long ago: don't use testing, it is
only meant to be a staging area for preparing the next release and not
as a distribution actually to be used by people, except during freezes
maybe.

Use stable or unstable instead, or a mixed testing/unstable system where
you upgrade packages that are broken in testing from unstable.

Sven