Re: How to Restart Networking in stretch

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Tue 12 Feb 2019 at 22:49:13 (-0600), Kent West wrote:
> stretch, 9.7
>
> I've duckduckgo'd for two days, but there seems to be no definitive answer
> as to how networking is supposed to be configured in stretch. debian.org's
> link to "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" is for version 8, and talks
> about deprecated tools like ifup/down, which aren't even installed by
> default on stretch.

Perhaps they spell deprecate differently, but I can only find one
occurrence of the word, on page 224, referring to SSL.

I can only find three references to ifupdown (pp. 150, 383, 396),
none making any judgment on its use.

No, "The [out-of-date] Handbook" doesn't say that. But places like https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-missing-ifconfig-command-on-debian-linux say:

The ifconfig command has been deprecated and thus missing by default on Debian Linux, starting from Debian stretch

As Greg Wooledge points out, I had confused "ifconfig" with "ifupdown".

It's interesting that many people seem to think that networking
behaves like a daemon, where you can just change the configuration
file and then signal the daemon to reread the new file.

Probably because many people, including myself, don't know how networking works.

> btw, NetworkManager (network-manager) is not installed.

Same here. I think the installer gives you that when you install
a Desktop Environment.

That's kind of my thinking also.

It is my understanding that NetworkManager doesn't try to manage interfaces that are configured in /etc/network/interfaces. I think I kind of took that to mean that "interfaces" was deprecated, just as the init-script system is usable with systemd although deprecated.

Following that [wrong?] thinking, I'd think that the "canonical" tools for network configuration would be NetworkManagerDE (NM) everywhere, but I think I'm learning that it's ifupdown if you're not running X/, NM otherwise.

> So, two questions:
>
> 1) Why can't I restore my networking after I stop it? How do I restore
> networking?

See above (when it works for you).

Thanks! Greg helped me past this part.

> 2) What is the canonical current method in 2019 to [semi-]manually
> configure networking in stretch? And is it documented anywhere? (My two
> days of searching leads me to think "no". Or my google-fu really sucks.)

I don't think you can have a "canonical" method because it depends on
what sort of system you're installing.

For a server, you probably want nothing more than the ifupdown that
the d-i installs by default. Most people running a DE will likely take
what's given to them; isn't that the point of a DE: why fight it.
In between are people like me who prefer the lightest tools where
possible, and so I use wicd (-curses) as a matter of course. It works
well on the road where it's essential, but it also can be useful at
home when I move machines around (altering whether they're wired
or wireless'd).

Which, as pointed out above, is kind of the conclusion I'm coming to. I was just hoping there was some documentation that explains this, instead of the learner having to piece a correct piece of info from a 7-year old post with an incorrect piece from a 11-year old post except if Condition A exists, but not on Thursdays.

Cheers,
David.

Thanks! It's a complex thing, and every little bit helps.

--
Kent West                    <")))><