Re: Setting default $PATH for all users

On 02/10/2019 03:26 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 02:57:22PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
I used "grep -r /usr/local/games /etc" which yielded "/etc/login.defs" and
"/etc/profile". Editing those two files had no effect.

How are you determining that changes to /etc/profile had no effect?

Being of the vacuum tube, 026, KSR35 era <grin;>
I did a brute force reboot [i.e. power off; wait; power on]

Because changes there (or in files in /etc/profile.d/) should affect all
new shels that you launch. Example:

$ cat /etc/profile.d/extrapath.sh
export PATH=$PATH:/foo

Then I open a new shell and echo $PATH, /foo is in there.

If that is not your experience, you are doing something wrong, or your
system is very broken.

Depends on your definition of broken ;/
The links you snipped suggest lightdm could be defined as broken.

So what changes are you making and how are you checking for them?

Cheers,
Andy