Re: Setting default $PATH for all users

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 08:58:28AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/08/2019 07:37 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >More background: processes inherit their environment from their

> >parent process, and so on.
> >
> >[snip] there are "checkpoints" at which the (user) environment
> >can be set.
> >
> >Traditionally that happens at login (/etc/profile,
>
> Edited that to *NO* effect.

I said "traditionally": there your primary "login" is a shell.
For X and graphical environments, it's another story.

> >~/.profile
>
> By my problem definition, any thing in /home/user is not relevant as
> I explicitly want something that affects all current and future
> users.

Right -- I mentioned that for completeness, since this is a recurring
pattern: a system-wide config which can be overridden per user.

> >But X. When X came up [...]

> >See "man Xsession" and the scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession* -- they
> >are shell scripts and might inspire you.
>
> No mention of path there.

No need: those are shell snippeds sourced by the X session shell,
which will be the mother of all your X processes -- and PATH is
part of their inherited environment. Setting PATH there will be
inherited by those.

But see Dan's other take -- pam will set things (among others
the PATH for any authentication which goes via PAM (i.e. the
display manager, where you log into X, a shell in a console,
or even an ssh from another box).

Cheers
-- tomás