Re: how to select part of old mp3 and create new one

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 10:19:39AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (12019-02-07):
> >   ffmpeg -i input.mp3 -ss 10 -t 20 -acodec mp3 output.mp3
>
> Since the original is already in MP3, -acodec copy (or -c:a copy, more
> modern) will avoid re-encoding the file, and thus having the MP3
> artifacts twice.

Yes, this is a very important point. More speed at more quality,
this is an offer one can't decline :-)

> But if you want to recode, then do not put just a codec: you would get
> the default quality parameters, and they probably do not suit you.
> Specify the quality you want. RTFM for that.

Yes. I just wanted to present a somewhat minimalist command line
to grow from.

> Last: usually better to put -ss before -i, because it avoids decoding
> the whole beginning of the file.

Nice little optimization, right. With videos and not-that-fast
hardware it'll make a noticeable difference, I guess.

> > This is assuming you want to have your result as .mp3 too (consider
> > a free codec like vorbis or flac, if you want lossless).
>
> Nowadays, Opus beats Vorbis easily.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not that deep in codec land these days.

Thanks for your comments!

Cheers
-- tomás