Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

> Would anybody care to voice an opinion on USB external hard drives in the
> 2 terabyte size range, for automated backup purposes?

I personally use my external HDDs without enclosures.

I.e. I use a USB<->SATA adapter
(e.g. https://www.dx.com/p/usb-3-0-to-sata-22-pin-2-5-hard-disk-driver-adapter-cable-black-18cm-2021357)
and then connect the "raw drives".  The advantage is that the same
adapter cable works for various sizes of drives (e.g. I have some
extra-thick 2½" 2TB drives which don't fit in a normal 2½" enclosure).

Some of those adapters can also be used with 3½" drives (at the cost of
extra work to power the drive, and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble:
I personally stopped using 3½" disks when the 2½" disks crossed the 2TB
threshold).

        Stefan