Re: Thunderbird + Enigmail + saving draft with encryption

On 02/02/2019 20:08, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 2/2/19, Thomas D Dial <tdial@acm.org> wrote: >> I noticed this a few weeks or a month ago and took it to be a
somewhat >> inelegant, maybe incompletely implemented, feature intended
to improve >> metadata security. I believe "Encrypted message" also
becomes the >> subject of the transmitted message. >> >> Exposure of the
metadata showing who is in contact with whom, and when, >> is pretty
much inescapable, but the subject line, which is not >> encrypted, also
can provide useful information to an eavesdropper, even >> if she cannot
decrypt the message body. This is noted in some PGP or GPG >>
documentation I have seen, accompanied by recommendations to obscure the
>> Subject: line and put the true subject within the body. > > > That's
what I was thinking as I read this thread. That's a perfect > spot for
it... right at the top of the email's main content/body where > it then
sits ready for a quick copy-cut-paste when the time's > appropriate. > >
It would be like how at least some of us temporarily save intended >
recipient email addresses in that same spot while saving draft email >
copies. That's an old netiquette type trick so that things fail in the >
event we accidentally click "Send" instead of "Save Draft" or their >
equivalents across email clients. :) > > That part I read about how
subject lines all look the same once > encrypted > GACK! It sounds like
there's room for a wishlist bug > report about an option to somehow save
a tickler of a reminder instead > of the real subject. A key as to the
meaning of that tickler could > then be saved elsewhere, e.g. as a
handwritten note, in the same way > passwords are occasionally saved on
scraps of paper scattered > everywhere. :) > > Cindy :)
Having the subject header copied to the top of the message body sounds
like a good idea.  I can do that manually but having software do that
could be helpful to people too.

A wish list seems a good idea too,  anything to help improve software is
a good thing.

regards

Paul :)

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/zleap/
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893  1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D