Re: logout kills X

On Thu 31 Jan 2019 at 12:51:05 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 31 Jan 2019 at 18:36:58 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> > On Thu 31 Jan 2019 at 12:56:59 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> >
> > > tty1 became special with the introduction of systemd. Do not use tty1
> > > for X. Instead use tty2 and/or tty3 and/or tty4 and/or tty5 and/or
> > > tty6. Buster may have this fixed, as upstream has apparently fixed it
> > > 3 months ago.
> >
> > The behaviour on unstable is unchanged from stretch. To use tty1 for X,
> > move ~/.bash_logout out of the way or alter it. That doesn't mean the
> > origin of the bug doesn't involve systemd or X, but it removes the
> > problem
>
> I forgot to check what was actually in my own ~/.bash_logout until
> you wrote this. For several years (since installing jessie, I think),
> mine runs   clear && reset   rather than   clear_console.
> Does that make any difference?

Thank you for looking at this. I tried 'clear && reset' on unstable and
have no complaints. Back to tty2 on after logging in and out and mouse
and keyboard normal operation on X in tty1.

So - is bash the culprit, or are the interactions between it and other
system components more complex than this indicates?

--
Brian.