Re: Let's play "Where is X?" (was: logout kills X)

David Wright composed on 2019-01-30 13:54 (UTC-0600):

> On Wed 30 Jan 2019 at 19:12:42 (+0000), Brian wrote:

>> On Wed 30 Jan 2019 at 13:48:17 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>>> Same problem if you don't use tty1, instead logging in first on tty2, and after on tty3?

>> Did *you* try this? In fact, did *you* even try the procedure that
>> hohe72 describes so well?

> I've tried this every time I've seen it reported, and nothing ever
> freezes, or crashes. Same just now.

> But I do remember reading at one time that there's "something
> different" about VC1 from the other consoles

Indeed. It's what I had in mind when I responded. I'll give one guess where it came from.....

Time's up. Yes, systemd. Who couldn't have guessed. It imposed a notion that I first noticed....
(wish to guess where?)

Yup, on Fedora, home of Leonard P, under the aegis of RedHat, and Gnome.

....that X somehow belongs on tty1 instead of tty7. So, there is something different about tty1 (if
one is not still using sysvinit). How different depends I'm sure on more than I have any clue
about, but surely must include whether and which dm is installed, or used, or which distro. Not all
distros or dms accepted the systemd notion that tty users are happy to have one less tty available
than they were used to having in previous decades, as well as having tty1 cleared of all boot
messages, and avoiding encountering a dastardly video mode switch known as "flicker" before a GUI
login greeter appeared. How ungrateful!

As one who had years earlier learned to prevent clearing of tty1 at the end of init, this change
was quite apparent. It's been years since I've purposely logged in on tty1, back around the time I
got to understand that the first X session goes to tty7, the second to tty8, the third to tty9,
etc. Seeing those boot messages again after having logged in somewhere occasionally reminds me I've
lost my way. I expect those messages to stay put until a reboot or shutdown process is initiated.

I still don't know how to recover a full six ttys now that startx keeps X on the tty run from,
while login prompts never appear on tty7 & up. I'll get by on less than 6. Some changes do not need
to be accommodated. Life's too short.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/