Re: trying to install Debian encrypted in an existed partition, keeping the rest as it is ...

On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 06:42 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> On 1/29/19 9:30 PM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> >   use case:
> >
> >   Say, you have a computer preinstalled with Windows, on which you
> > would like to install a Debian Linux base. You would:
> >
> >   1) resize the larger, Windows proper (/dev/sda3) partition
> >   2) install Linux encrypted in the created space, with
> >   3) what you need to start it up (the /root partition) on a pen
> > drive
> >
> >   So, other people may be able to use that box just fine under
> > Windows
> > and you would do your thing.
> >
> >   If for whatever reason you disown that computer, you would just
> > delete that partition. Your own data you will keep on a USB pen or
> > microdrive.
>
> If you want a portable Debian installation, install Debian on a USB
> flash drive.  To avoid confusion, install (and update/upgrade) on a
> computer with no other drives connected (so that GRUB does not create
> boot menu entries for other operating systems).  Use the motherboard
> firmware (BIOS/UEFI) boot device hot key and/or setup program to boot
> Debian.

I see no reason to take the original drive out for the install. If you
don't, grub will find the OS(s) on it and generally provide correctly
for booting them if you wish to do so. If the machine is booted without
the USB key, it still will boot normally for the old OS(s). I have found
this arrangement quite convenient.

Tom Dial