Re: Can a recipients rights under GNU GPL be revoked?

On Monday, January 28, 2019 04:21:11 AM Curt wrote:
> On 2019-01-28, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Just another aside: One of my takes on lawyers is that they interpret
> >> laws and take legal positions for various reasons, often to further
> >> their own or their client's interests, and then are willing to fight
> >> the legal battle that may ensue.  A lawyer expressing an opinion does
> >> not make that opinion correct / legal.
>
> Earthshaking!

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not.  It wasn't intended to be
earthshaking, but I don't think everybody realizes that.

> (Editor's note: there exist lawyers who are not amoral
> shysters and who even devote themselves to just causes.)

Not sure who the editor is ;-)  (Wish I had an editor ;-)

I guess if I edited the paragraph quoted above (which I wrote), I'd:

   * replace "often to further" with "sometimes to further" (at least with
respect to their own interests, my understanding is that, in most cases, your
lawyer is charged with furthering your interests (if you are their client)

   * replace "are willing to fight the legal battle" with "may be willing to
fight the legal battle" (and maybe only as long as their client pays them?)

> I guess the following is pertinent:
>
> https://hackaday.com/2018/09/27/can-you-take-back-open-source-code/

Read the article, skimming the comments, nothing to say at this time.

--< snip >--