Re: system stops

On 1/27/19, Jens Holzhäuser <Jens.Holzhaeuser@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 09:11:33PM +0100, BELAHCENE Abdelkader wrote:
>> Sometimes (maybe often) when I leave the system for a times without
>> touching it, when I come back, the system is frozen , juste the pointer
>> of
>> mouse can move, but nothing else,  keyboard doesn't respond,  even
>> ctrl+alt+F1 , or F2,  ...
>

>> Jan 27 20:29:52 mx kernel: [11477.409506] PM: suspend exit
> [...]
>> Jan 27 20:29:52 mx kernel: [11476.619289] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Starting disk
> [...]
>> Jan 27 20:29:52 mx kernel: [11476.091515] ACPI: Waking up from system
>> sleep state S3
> [...]
>> Jan 27 20:29:52 mx kernel: [11476.082190] ACPI: Low-level resume complete
>
> Looks like your system is waking up from being suspended/hibernated.
>
> Try disabling suspension/hibernation and see if that prevents the issue.
> Something with the power management and system resume might not be
> working correctly.

That's what I was thinking, too. Then, if it looks like all of that is
set for it to just sit there instead of shutting down, it's ok to say,
nope, it's still doing it....

Because mine does, too. I'll go off and do a few chores then come back
to it. It's obvious that it has still gone into some level of
bystanding mode in spite of my own settings. It takes its absolute
sweet time coming back out of it, too.

I had to change mine to not go into sleep/hibernation at all because
it just would not recover too frequently. Hitting that power button
was repeatedly the only way to recover in my case, too.

AND THAT... just reminded me that there was a thread where someone
here said something I'd never remembered hearing before... There's a
spot related to I THINK initramfs or something LIKE that
(initrd.img??) where we can accidentally be carrying over a wrong UUID
(or possibly PARTUUID, LABEL, etc) declaration.

That would, for example, happen if we copied over a live session from
one partition to another. It's well known that we immediately need to
change declarations in /etc/fstab to represent the new partition. This
other, though, just might answer some questions like this that have
otherwise long gone unsolved in the past..

OR NOT. *grin*

As an aside, can we address that by simply updating initramfs via that
command that was just provided in that one thread a couple days ago?

Maybe that's something we're supposed to be doing after copying over
to a new partition, and some of us just hadn't seen that memo yet? Or
would that not help because we still need to manually change that
particular "declaration" first before we update... if it's even about
update-initramfs in the first place? :)

One other thing I've noticed lately is about things like shutting
programs down to bring them back up and having it just sit there for
the longest time before things finally happen. I started watching
"free -m" during those times IF there was enough memory available to
even run that command, GRIN.

Time and again I've sat here and watched it SLOWLY pull things out of
swap and put it back I PRESUME into "ram"... and THEN it FINALLY shuts
the program on down. :)

While what I just wrote is about shutting programs down, I've imagined
it playing some potentially similar part in spending the same amount
of time watching it come back up from a hibernation it was never
expected to take in the first place. :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey