Re: Can a recipients rights under GNU GPL be revoked?

On 28/01/19 3:32 AM, John Hasler wrote:
> Note that under USA law the right to *use* (including the right to make
> such transient and temporary copies as might be required for effective
> use) a copy of a program of which one is a legitimate owner is automatic
> and requires no license.

IANAL, but ok. But what defines a 'legitimate owner'? No ownership
rights are generally transferred with a piece of software, right?

>  Thus if someone gives (or sells) a copy

... and I understand that if there's no consideration paid, there's no
legal contract, right?

I'm paraphrasing from recent comments by someone who claims to be a
lawyer, posting on The Register. They also claim that promissory
estoppel claims are generally hard to win.

NB I'm in New Zealand, so whatever laws apply here may well be different
anyway.

Richard