Re: missing avidemux Debian package

On 1/25/19, Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:
> TLDR it's complicated :)

Going all DR like that meant you missed the very special message that
your parcel package couldn't be delivered =D

> Il giorno ven 25 gen 2019 alle ore 13:09 bapt x <baptx.is@gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a reason for avidemux video editor is not being in the official
>> Debian package repository?

Lack of Debian repository inclusion will be about things like lack of
enough manpower to maintain a consistent flow of help with
packaging/repackaging it so that it operates seamlessly within Debian.
Original Developer(s)' CHOICE of licensing options plays a part, too.

>> I see multimedia packages like VLC video player are present in the
>> official repository so it should not be a legal problem.
>> It would be nice to have this package in the official repository instead
>> of adding an unofficial third-party repository.

I went on this same hunt a couple years ago after I finally
re-remembered its unusual name. I found it as a stand-alone package
that worked *in my setup*. That same older download still works,
actually. It was one of those self-contained "app" kind of deals.
Xfce4's file manager, Thunar, defines its file type as "AppImage
application bundle".

A quick search of the Web found Sourceforge, but I can't get the page
to load for nothin' k/t local dialup this morning:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/

Based on the other sites I'm seeing in my search, it's possible
Sourceforge is where I got mine from (that couple years ago), but I
can't swear to it without seeing Sourceforge actually load up.

Just ran my old copy (2.6.20) to verify it does "actually" work. Its
"Help > About" feature officially refers to the following website that
"very succinctly" aka abruptly points us elsewhere:

http://avidemux.org/

The following is primarily just to have this in the archives relative
to this topic..

The thing about AppImages and other similar similar packaging is that
you have to make a conscious, executive decision regarding how each
one's creators'/owners' licensing works with respect to your own
needs, policies, and usages. When we find packages easily accessible
in the various Debian repositories, very kindly others have already
done the mental drain of that work by researching, verifying, and then
labeling THOUSANDS of packages within the main, contrib, and non-free
child directories. #ThankYOU to those kindly folks! :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *