Re: Optimizing use of /var/cache/apt/archives/ by Synaptic &/or apt-get

On 01/23/2019 08:52 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
This actually two 'related' questions.

1. If /var/cache/apt/archives/ has the same or later version version of
a package, will Synaptic and apt-get automatically use contents of
/var/cache/apt/archives/ in preference to downloading whatever is at
location specified by sources.list?

That's the idea, yes.

2. If there is no internet connection at the moment, will Synaptic and
apt-get  use the latest version in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ?
[I have a specific use for this *NON_STANDARD* behavior.]

IIRC, apt requires the ability to check that the cached version is as
new as the one in the repos.

However, one can always just use dpkg in that instance.

I'm having second thoughts about using Synaptic in odd-ball/atypical situations. It is, after all, explicitly aimed at "normal" users doing "typical" installs.

I've only used dpkg to install a deb package with no external dependencies. I've re-read its man page and am not sure I understand what it's trying to tell me. I've more reading to do :}