Synaptic failure to function

Hello All,

just a little information which may be useful. I recently experienced a
system crash caused by a power failure and was left with no access to
Synaptic after re-starting and cleaning up as much of the mess as
possible. Googling wasn't very helpful so I tried creating another user
account to establish the scope of my problem.

Logging in to the new user and initiating Synaptic via the 'K' plasma
menu was successful, so I returned to my normal user account and lo!
Synaptic was again accessible. Obviously something at the system level
had been damaged by the crash and was fixed by creating the new user.

I hope this helps others.

Peter HB

Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.12-1 (2018-12-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux