Re: thunar: trash works for one user, not for another

On 1/19/19 9:34 AM, Andrea Borgia wrote:
Hi.

On my father's desktop (using xfce on "testing"), thunar correctly shows recently deleted files in the trash using my account but, when my father tries it with his account, only very old deleted files are visible.

"gio trash testfile" works, the homes are on the same filesystem and there is plenty of free space left.

What should I look for to find out where the files are going?
Also, how do I fix the setup so that under the trash position he can find all the files, even those recently deleted?

Thanks,
Andrea.

Perhaps your issues are related to owner, group, and permissions of mount point directories.

Running some tests:

2019-01-19 11:00:41 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ cat /etc/debian_version; uname -a
9.6
Linux tinkywinky 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Using Thunar and trash in my home directory:

< Empty trash via Xfce panel Trash applet >

2019-01-19 11:03:25 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ touch trashme

< Delete 'trashme' using Thunar >

< Xfce panel -> Trash applet -> 'trashme' is visible >

2019-01-19 11:04:01 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ tree -al .local/share/Trash
.local/share/Trash
|-- expunged
|-- files
|   `-- trashme
`-- info
    `-- trashme.trashinfo

3 directories, 2 files

< Xfce panel -> Trash applet -> Empty Trash >

< Xfce panel -> Trash applet -> trash is empty >

2019-01-19 11:05:08 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ tree -al .local/share/Trash
.local/share/Trash
|-- expunged
|-- files
`-- info

3 directories, 0 files

Repeating the above steps in a SSD partition/ file system I use for audio/video editing, databases, file munging, etc. (note that my UID is 13250):

2019-01-19 11:07:36 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ mount | grep scratch
/dev/mapper/sda4_crypt on /mnt/scratch type btrfs (rw,relatime,ssd,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/)

2019-01-19 11:09:01 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ ls -al /mnt/scratch
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 1 dpchrist dpchrist 16 Jan 19 11:00 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root     root     20 Dec 30 21:27 ..
drwxr-xr-x 1 dpchrist dpchrist 32 Dec 13 18:22 dpchrist

2019-01-19 11:09:16 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ touch /mnt/scratch/trashme2

< Delete 'trashme2' using Thunar >

2019-01-19 11:09:36 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ ls -al /mnt/scratch
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 1 dpchrist dpchrist 40 Jan 19 11:09 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root     root     20 Dec 30 21:27 ..
drwx------ 1 dpchrist dpchrist 18 Jan 19 11:09 .Trash-13250
drwxr-xr-x 1 dpchrist dpchrist 32 Dec 13 18:22 dpchrist

2019-01-19 11:09:59 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ tree -al /mnt/scratch/.Trash-13250/
/mnt/scratch/.Trash-13250/
|-- files
|   `-- trashme2
`-- info
    `-- trashme2.trashinfo

2 directories, 2 files

< Xfce panel -> Trash applet -> Empty trash >

2019-01-19 11:10:43 dpchrist@tinkywinky ~
$ tree -al /mnt/scratch/.Trash-13250/
/mnt/scratch/.Trash-13250/
|-- expunged
|-- files
`-- info

3 directories, 0 files

The key item is that Thunar needs to be able to create a '.Trash-UID' directory in the file system mount point directory. (I believe my mount point initially had an owner and group of root.root, and Thunar was complaining?)

David