Re: backintime

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 10:29:49AM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> For those of you with decades of experience of CVS, you might as well
> stick with it.
>
> For someone entirely new to VCSes, I would absolutely not recommend
> CVS at all.

Yes. After reading the various diversions into RCS and CVS history I
was a little dismayed. If you are a newcomer to version control and
just wanting to get things done, look at git first and only move on
when you are comfortable with day to day usage of that.

Learning about anything older than git could be valuable from a
historical point of view but git is so dominant now that for
practical use it would be a waste of time to start with anything
else (barring any immediate need like if you need to start working
with an existing project that uses subversion or mercurial or
something).

Particularly, RCS has severe limitations that CVS fixed, and CVS has
severe limitations that Subversion fixed. They're just not worth
revisiting for new use.

But it can be interesting from the point of view of the history of
computer science. And for existing projects that don't have an issue
with their current choice of VCS it isn't worth changing.

Cheers,
Andy