Re: how to select sound card in mixer

On 1/19/19, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i have two sound cards, aumix for X shows setting for one cardit doesn't
> allow user to select cardit use /dev/mixer, i don't know device name for
> each card
> any program in X window that let user choose card??i hope it doesn't depend
> on kde or gnome, i use twmThanks!

What I played with on mine might not help, but am sharing in case it
does, at least in part.

You said "device", so I sampled:

# ls -ld /dev/* | grep au -i

Throwing in grep was a little trick I learned from seeing it tossed
around here on Debian-User. That landed this for my little ASUS 1015px
laptop:

crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,   4 Jan 16 12:21 /dev/audio
crw-r--r--  1 root root     10, 235 Jan 16 12:21 /dev/autofs
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,   3 Jan 16 12:21 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio    14,   0 Jan 16 12:21 /dev/mixer
crw-------  1 root root     10,   1 Jan 16 12:21 /dev/psaux

I was... lazy... and only typed "au" so there were a couple things
non-audio. Since those extras created only a little noise, they were
left in just to show that usage. :)

I also tried running "apt-get search sound card". That right
neighborly (effortlessly) landed:

xmix - X11-based interface to the Linux sound driver mixer

It's 10.8kb (for me) so I test drove it before sharing. It's...
"cute". Unfortunately, I don't have any way to know if it recognizes
two cards instead of just the one that I (presume I) have.

The Master setting was down presumably at 0. I had some trouble
bumping that up... and now can't get it to slide back down.
Additionally my own speaker(s?) has not worked in a while so I don't
know if it had any effect when it did move upward. :D

Normal user was "allowed" to run xmix, root was not. That was expected
behavior similar to how root is supposed to be all business, get in,
do some work, and get out and thus not "playing" with known time
wasters, e.g. web browsers.

As an aside for potential Developer interest, closing xmix via that
universal top righthand (and sometimes lefthand) "X" repeatedly
received the following feedback that did NOT come back when closing
via the "Quit" button:

$ xmix
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 325 requests (325 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

As a further and totally OT aside, the "sound card" search also landed
these two packages that look interesting:

cw - Morse code tutor - command line user interface
xdemorse - decode Morse signals to text

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey