Re: backintime

On Wednesday 16 January 2019 11:59:39 Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> 2 instant questions about backintime, which I just now installed to
> make small backups as I work on some machine config files, and some
> gcode to go with linuxcnc.
>
> This after haveing suffered the of having xmlindent nissfire and left
> me with an empty xml file of over 250 loc I've had to reinvent from
> scratch.
>
> A round of shingles to the author of that manpage.  Now I know its a
> filter you pipe input to, but thats not mentioned in the manpage.
>
> Anyway, I want to setup A) a directory in my home page on that machine
> B) two profiles to watch 2 directories and their subdirs as two
> separate progile's.  which I've done, both useing the same
> /home/gene/backup dir for the snapshots.
> But all I can get out of backintime-gnome is that the backup location
> is invalid.
>
> Its a terabyte drive, 3% used, what the heck is its problem? I own the
> backup dir and everything to be stored in it. I don't intend to ever
> backup the system, I have amanda doing that daily for almost 21 years
> now.
>
> Am I using the wrong tool?, it certainly feels like it.

So I blew away backintime, and installed eclipse but I've never seen a
login so screwed up, in 6 attempts to create an account, its confused
the passwd with the "organization phrase" 6 times, but now I've gotten
far enough to ask it for a passwd reset.

I got past that finally, to be greeted by the worst concealed phishiing
questionare I've ever seen. In the interests of not have to change my
credit card on 2 minutes notice, I've already had to do that just about
90 days back, I backed out. They have my confirmed email address so they
can spam me for the next 3 years like solidworks because I looked,
couldn't figure out how to use it, nuked it, and my account pw.
What in tarnation more do they need before I can even see their mailing
list, so it looks as if eclipse will also get removed.

Anybody else have a suggestion for a live backup for working on a 600
line file?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)