Re: How to set up ethernet and pppoe

jpff wrote:
> My firewall computer is showing problems, including a failed update from
> wheezy to jessie, and I reported disk read error (according to smartd) so I
> am trying to build a new machine.  I have installed stretch on the new
> system but I have got problems beyond my knowledge.
>
> The install gave me a system with a network managed where I have always used
> ifconfig and the like and /etc/network/interface and do not know to remove
> the network manager and install the "legacy" tools.  So I have a lan
> interface but no potential wan.

In theory, putting interface stanzas in /etc/network/interfaces
(or in the directory /etc/network/interfaces.d) will tell
networkmanager to stop controlling them.

In practice, "apt remove network-manager" helps out, too.

> The more detailed issue is how to configure the second Ethernet to support
> pppoe.  At present the new machine is on my desk but when I move it to the
> WAN it will need to be running pppoe on the second interface or I will be
> isolated from the world (and advice).

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

should help.

-dsr-