Re: Interpreting package version number

On 01/16/2019 07:58 AM, songbird wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:

I'm running Stretch and have just installed Tcl from repository.
Synaptic reports the installed version is 8.6.6+dfsg-1+b1 .
The current upstream version is 8.6.9 .

I don't understand what "+dfsg-1+b1" is telling me.
Where is that numbering scheme described?

My goal is to understand (from upstream docs) how what I have installed
differs from the current upstream version.

   if you want to know what is different in any
debian package you can download the source code
package and look at the patches it applies.

IIUC "dfsg" tells me that Debian chose a different means to the same functional end (User's POV) than how upstream accomplished it.