Re: Interpreting package version number

On 1/16/19, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2019-01-16, Georgi Naplatanov <gosho@oles.biz> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what "dfsg" is but "b" means BinNMU - Binary Non-Maintainer
>> Upload. This usually means that the package is recompiled because of
>> changed version of dependency(es).
>
>  “+dfsg.N” and “+ds.N“ are a conventional way of extending a version
> string,
>  when the Debian package's upstream source tarball is actually different
> from
>  the source released upstream. The former is used when upstream's source
> release
>  contains elements that do not satisfy the Debian Free Software Guildelines
>  (DFSG) and hence may not be distributed as source in the Debian system,
> the
>  latter (standing for “Debian Source”) is used when the modification are
> for
>  other non-DFSG reasons.
>
>  The changes should be documented in README.source.
>
> (searched, found, cut, and pasted by yours truly)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_does_.2BIBw-dfsg.2BIB0_or_.2BIBw-ds.2BIB0_in_the_version_string_mean.3F

You beat me to the punchline! I just finished email archiving a couple
Debian-Mentors responses by Paul Wise [0] and Mo Zhou [1] so that
angle for a potential right answer was fresh in mind. They helped land
that same Wiki page.

Am still posting Paul and Mo even though the answer has been given for
this thread. Those latest Mentor responses might contain interesting
information for others, even if you don't ever pursue the Developer
route. It's nice to know what's going on under the hood. :)

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2019/01/msg00145.html

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2019/01/msg00150.html

Cindy :)
--