We've got a problem. Debian "Jessie" box won't launch X or Tomcat, and USB drive won't mount

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We've got a Debian 8 box (an old Dell 400SC) that won't launch X (it boots to a command line) or Tomcat, nor mount a USB hard drive that we use for backups.

It will, however, accept ssh connections.

In the boot sequence, I see "Failed" where it tries to mount the USB drive. I also can't seem to get that drive to mount on anything else, which suggests that it has been corrupted.

Can somebody suggest where to start looking for the problem?

--
James H. H. Lampert