Re: kernel parallel builds?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 12:55:40 +0100
Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> How do I find out, and possibly tune, the degree of parallelization in the
> kernel build process? The "Kernel Handbook" doesn't say.
>
> I've got a fairly recent PC with plenty of RAM and a NVME drive, so I was
> shocked to find that rebuilding the debian kernel package took a few hours.
> Shocked because the system is otherwise extremely fast.

To set concurrency, use make's -j flag / option, or whatever the tool
you're using uses to set concurrency. E.g., make-kpkg also has a -j
flag / option (which it passes to make), as well as a CONCURRENCY_LEVEL
environment variable.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/make
http://man.he.net/man1/make-kpkg

Celejar